Any Chromebook users here?

@Solaire Seems like the Acer CB314 I was looking at comes without Linux Beta/Crostini so linux apps like VSCode are probably not doable, right?

https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/chrome-os-systems-supporting-linux

Unfortunately that seems to be the case. You can still run a web-based VS code on a VPS and access it from your chromebook via Chrome. That’s how I develop using my chromebook, although admittedly I rarely use my chromebook for that purpose. The added benefit there is that most of the processing would run on the VPS, which increases the battery life of the Chromebook.

1 Like

Fair enough. I guess I will check which Chromebooks support Linux Beta, but I assume that would be the more expensive ones. However, for a Chromebook I wouldn’t want to pay too much. If it gets too expensive, I would probaly just get one without Linux Beta. Thanks for offering an alternative, though :smiley:

1 Like

My cheap ass Chromebook supports Linux. I think most, if not all Lenovo’s do

1 Like

@Solaire fwiw the Chromeboom CB314 that I was looking at is mentioned here in a list of Chromebooks supporting Crostini/Linux Apps: All Chromebooks with Linux Apps (Crostini) support in 2023

Nice that I now have two different statements😅

1 Like

I administer over 300 chromebooks for a school, and they are good cloud devices. You cannot install anything on them, except as a chrome-browser extension (it’s called ChromeOS for a reason). If you want to go the (awkward) way of installing Linux on them, you lose all the benefits of a chromebook, and you’re better off installing Linux on any other device. But if you’re all cloud-based and you don’t like to take care of OS admin, it’s a worry-free device, that can easily be locked down further. Ideal for schools really, no headaches, low support.

2 Likes

I was on a mobile device at the time I was answering as I was taking a trip across the Wadden Islands (which is amazing by the way, can recommend!).

Now that I have access to proper internet and a keyboard, I can see a ton of threads over at Reddit of folks that are discussing the installation of Linux at the CB314, so I think it is possible (although not officially supported). Then again, I agree with @pepa65 that installing Linux on a Chromebook pretty much voids its purpose. I’d see the Chromebook for what it is: a cheap device that is convenient for small tasks such as taking notes, placing a webshop order, watching a video, and doing some basic programming (through a cloud IDE). If you want anything more than that, it’s best to get a higher spec notebook with Linux or Windows OS.

1 Like

Thanks for chiming in! Super interesting because I indeed read somewhere that chromebooks were used a lot at school :smiley: Must be exciting?

Sorry if I misphrased that. I don’t plan on flushing Linux OS on the chromebook. I want to use Chromeos, just install VScode via Linux Beta if possible. If not, there are still Cloud IDEs and perhaps also apps in the playstore for coding. Maybe you even know of one?

1 Like

Wadden Islands! I’ve heard some times of them now. Need to go one day! Thanks for the recommendation :slight_smile:

And yeah, like I mentioned earlier. Not looking to flush Linux OS. Rather my understanding is that modern chromebooks have a slider in settings to activate Linux Beta/Crostini which adds a terminal to the chromebook apps where you can install linux apps via apt-get/wget.

1 Like

Linux Beta (formerly Crostini) is not a nice experience, it is not very friendly to boot into or switch to (they might improve that though). The whole idea of chromebooks is an ultra-locked down device. I would never want to use it myself.

1 Like

If Crostini makes it unstable, I will just deactivate it again. By making it as easy as enabling/disabling it in settings it should be easy enough to give a try. I will still find a ways to code(Codepen, JSFiddle, Programiz for Python) , regardless. Not dependant on Crostini although VSCode would be nice.

I have had the weirdest of problems with Chrome and my Laptop these days: Firstly, there was the on-going issue I mentioned on LET/LES, where I couldn’t login to Mike’s Myw.pt . I tried different Chrome profiles (I have 3), but even incognito mode or a new chrome profile without extensions wouldn’t work. On my phone the login seemed to work flawlessly the day after I reported the problem to Mike and we reset my pw. On the laptop with chrome it still wouldn’t, or only occassionaly work. Oddly enough, it works on my windowstablet and the same chrome profiles without an issue. So this leads me to believe the laptop is at fault. When I login via Brave Browser everything works without issue.

Today, I’ve had the next issue which I releate to my device: On one of my WordPress sites I couldn’t save new blog posts or pages created with the Divi WordPress Builder. I’d get an error message about increasing memory limits and disable plugins. Okay, this is a standard. I increased memory limits, php max exec, filesize, upload and disabled plugins one by one until none were left. Since it was WordPress I blamed IONOS thinking it must be them playing tricks on me again. However, after I tweaked everything possible on wp/php configs and even restored several different backups without success and was ready to call the IONOS hotline to have fun with an “expert” again, it came to my mind, I could try another device. I logged into my phone(!) and BOOM, Divi worked flawlessly. I could save pages and articles and create new ones without that shitty error message. I go back to my laptop and the error appears again (again, even on a chrome user without extensions and incognito mode). I then try Brave on my laptop and I start questioning my life as everything miracously works. Luckily, another Dev at the co-working space asks me if we wanna have a coffee and I guess he was my saviour to all that insanity. A big cup of coffee and good talks later (he was a dutch guy working “home-office” in Valencia) later, I am back sitting here and wondering how to proceed. I am happy Divi/MyW works again with Brave but: Should I wipe Chrome and re-install? Create another Windows user and try on a “fresh install”? Malwarebytes Premium and Bitdefender did not find any viruses, so I assume it wouldn’t be that.

Any suggestions? :slight_smile:

Check the Developer Tools → Network when you submit a form to login or whatever. See what headers and post data the browser is sending

1 Like

Oh lol. I wrote this entire post again in Cest Pit because I though it wasn’t posted. Didn’t realize I posted it in the Chromebook thread instead. Brain is fried today, alright.

Thanks mate! Will check next time :slight_smile:

I may have not been specific enough, since you cant login to myw, check both login from both devices requests in the network tab and compare them.

1 Like

That’s a good idea! Will do :slight_smile:

By the way, Acer support replied and said CB314-1H supports Linux Beta Crostini

1 Like

Am seriously considering getting a Chromebook, I see some models got a touchscreen is it worth paying a bit extra for one with a touch screen in the UK touchscreen model of CB314 is ÂŁ30 more.

2 Likes

My father now bought the CB315 with touchscreen on sale for 219€ from Amazon. It supposedly arrives tomorrow.

1 Like

Wiping Chrome should do. You’re not the first to encounter such issue with Chrome, I’ve had similar experiences in the past.

1 Like