cPanel Change in Pricing

The lifetime without updates and support is a marketing gimmick. Although it fits a subset of users.
But I think DA was offering updates & community support to the lifetime licenses, although don’t hold me to it as I’m not sure.

2 Likes

Included for the first year, then $99/yr thereafter for support/updates.

I think that’s the new pricing. Previously updates were included, and I think support too.

Check this topic. https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=58091

No, they discontinued lifetime licenses. Those were just the terms for whoever bought a lifetime license previously.

Edit: actually I think I’m wrong.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190423180454/https://www.directadmin.com/pricing.php

Shows 90 days of support included, but constant updates maybe? Idk, I’m confused now

3 Likes

Don’t remember seeing that, did they change their lifetime licenses before yesterday, since the cPanel announcement (or anytime recently, before their new announcement)?

I got a license yesterday, but it looked like it has the same lifetime updates they always had, unless I missed something…

A few days ago (iirc) they included it forever I believe. Now, you have to pay yearly like @Mason said.

Yeah. That’s what I thought. Support was limited but updates included

Think they said that if you already had an account, you can still order the lifetime licenses with lifetime updates…

1 Like

There is some sort of rate limit towards this, so you can’t have ordered 1 in the past year and get to order 1000 right now.

This was before and I am totally fine with… No updates if you don’t pay again isn’t what a lifetime license should be imho (security, stabilty…).

Previously it was 90 days of support, lifetime updates included.

Now it’s an owned license with 1 year of updates included. If you want updates after that first year it’s $99/year and also comes with support now.

Should probably drop the ‘Lifetime’ branding and just make it ‘Owned’ - it’s effectively a discounted long term license. You can pay $30/mo retail or $300 + $99/yr. Pays for itself in the first year if you’re planning on using it long term.

I think they saw a flood of sales and realized all the new customers they’ll need to support, and need to make it sustainable. Can’t be expected to do another decade+ of dev and bank only on new lifetime (one-time) license sales to fund that - need to convert some folks to sustainable monthly/annual rev.

5 Likes

They also mentioned a new VPS/limited license, and I think that could be good for them. Say they did a 30-50 user ‘VPS license’ at like $5-7/mo, could pull some good numbers with that I’m sure. For all the folks that can’t get discounted NOC pricing.

3 Likes

people wanted new features, building them on lifetime licenses wouldn’t be sustainable.

7 Likes

Virtualmin Pro

100+ Easily Installable Applications
Premium support
System Data Analytics
Reseller Accounts
30 days money back
HTML editor
Improved UI
Mobile access
Spam and virus filtering
Simplified complete installation script
Unlimited updated packages

$6 /mth or $60 /yr for 10 domains
$9 /mth or $90 /yr for 50 domains

$12 /mth or $120 /yr for 100 domains
$15 /mth or $150 /yr for 150 domains

$20 /mth or $200 /yr for unlimited domains

Compare Virtualmin Pro Packages

4 Likes

Lifetime with updates forever generally isn’t viable though, given the company has recurring costs (staffing, etc). Similar to how software licenses are often only for one version of the software, and you need to pay for an upgrade to get the next version. I agree that it should be called something like “Owned” rather than “Lifetime” though.

3 Likes

Hence why I suggested to either offer lifetime in limited quantity or refer to as “owned” :smiley:

1 Like

Just got one of my latest cPanel VPS license invoices for renewal at the old price. New pricing will at least be 2x more for me from my calculations !

cpanel-vps-license-cost-old-pricing-01

Also need to get a DirectAdmin license to learn the ropes for my paid/client work too :slight_smile:

And working on cPanel/WHM to Centmin Mod importer scripts :smiley:

2 Likes

Ouch that hurts. Ditch cPanel!

3 Likes

How likely are they to lower the pricing to something that will please everyone?

1 Like

Doesn’t matter, those with a brain have lost respect for cPanel, no getting that back.

2 Likes