DNSTools v2 Beta

I admit that despite .NET and C#'s bad rep the performance of this tool is so nice it’s mildly infuriating :grimacing: even more considering you’re running it on ultra low-end VPS’s
It’s so nice it made me curious enough to investigate your stack more
I admit I’ve had some prejudice, I’ve had some reservation against C# for at least a decade or two
Thank you again for sharing

1 Like

Very nice tools, Daniel :wink:

1 Like

The app running on all the low-end VPSes is pretty light - Around 35 MB RAM and barely any CPU usage even when it’s doing stuff (given most of the processing is network-bound rather than CPU-bound) :slight_smile:

The slowest part now is the “DNS Traversal” as that’s still using the legacy PHP code. PHP is not very good for async stuff, so it’s sending each DNS request one by one, which takes a few seconds. I’ve got a new C# backend that’s a lot faster, just need to work on the frontend now. I’ve got a work-in-progress that’s nearly complete. Should be done soon!

You can send a GitHub pull request to update it if you like :stuck_out_tongue:

Otherwise I’ll get around to it at some point.

2 Likes

This feature is live now! By default it now performs the DNS lookup from all the locations. Let me know what you think :smiley:

2 Likes

This is awesome mate!!! Love this! Pls get a very short domain. Also, curl request for ipv4/ipv6, possible? :grin:

I’ve got https://dns.tg/ but it’s just a redirect at the moment… I’ve been thinking about whether to move the site across to that domain. It’s been at dnstools.ws for 12 years so I’m a little hesitant to change it.

Maybe one day, but it’s hard to do well. There’s a risk of people sending malicious requests, and if there’s the option to send a cURL from multiple locations at once, many security systems detect that as a DDoS :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Thank you that works.

Meh. Just a curl, a request to print the IPv4/IPv6.
Its not rocket science :grin:

Love your tools Dan!

Would it be too much of a hassle to add things like nslookups, dig, domain propagation and such would be amazing.

This are some ones I’ve been using lately

http://www.kloth.net/services/nslookup.php?hc_location=ufi

https://intodns.com

Mtr.sh
Ping.pe
https://dnsdumpster.com/
https://securitytrails.com/dns-trails
Robtex.com

Oh failed to say that your website is amazing.

2 Likes

Are you looking for something different to the current DNS lookup functionality on the site? What extra features would you like to see added to that? You can click the little chevron next to a result to see more details:

Thanks! :smiley:

2 Likes

Ideally something in place like dnstrails but may be too big of a project .

Split the records by type.

Have this ?

have a working version of this one

http://www.crimeflare.org:82/cfs.html

2 Likes

Latest updates:

• There are now nodes in 25 locations worldwide! Several generous hosting providers have offered to sponsor VPSes in exchange for a link on the site, which I am extremely appreciative of :slight_smile:
  • All the tables are sortable now, so for example you can sort by ping time to see the locations with the lowest (or highest) pings:
  • On the ping page, you can click any location to see a traceroute inline:

As always, let me know if you have any feedback!

6 Likes

Very useful tool, use it all the time! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome :+1:

Latest update: It was previously only possible to ping one host from multiple locations. I’ve added the ability to instead ping multiple hosts from one location. This could be useful when comparing ping times of different providers, for example.

Example: Ping speedtest.lv.buyvm.net,lg.lon.hosthatch.com,lg.quantumcore.com.au,google.com.au

Also, when doing a DNS lookup, you can now specify which server to perform the lookup at. Previously it just started at the root servers and randomly picked a server to go to, which was frustrating for me when testing my own DNS servers (as I have one anycast server and two unicast servers, and sometimes only wanted to test the anycast one across all locations)

I’ve got more ideas for features I want to add, it’s just hard finding the free time to work on them :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Curious, any idea if au domain names do show their exp date?

Not any more.

The expiry date for .au domains used to be listed in public WHOIS a very long time ago (up until the early 2000s). However, there was a LOT of abuse of this data, where scammy companies were sending fake domain renewal invoices (which were actually domain transfers at a hugely inflated price). This was back before hidden WHOIS was widespread, so a lot of people had their real address and phone number listed. The fact that the letter had the real person’s name, real address and real domain expiry date resulted in many people falling for it.

auDA responded to that by restricting access to the expiry date. Now, you need the EPP/AuthInfo password (same one you use to transfer the domain) in order to view the expiry date, meaning that only the owner of the domain has permission to view when it expires.

There used to be a small loophole: Domain renewals were always for two years (it was impossible to register or renew a .au domain for a shorter or longer period of time), you could only renew if it was 90 days or less until the expiry date, and renewing a domain would update its “last modified” date which is visible in WHOIS. This meant that if no other changes were made to the domain (such as updating the nameservers or WHOIS data), the expiry date was roughly two years after the “last modified” date. Afilias changed some of the policies when they took over the ccTLD - Now you can renew from anywhere from 1-5 years, so this trick is less useful.

2 Likes

dnstools.ws is now my preferred web based DNS tool, I use it quite often, and this new ping is gonna be quite helpful, I think! :clap: :nerd_face:

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! :smiley:

I just added an mtr tool. Right now it shows all the same info as the mtr command-line app, but that makes the table pretty dense so I think I’ll be rethinking the design at some point. I want to add some fancy graphs too (just need to figure out exactly what types of graphs to show).

9 Likes

Love the improvements you’re doing to this! :smiley: :+1: