General CloudFlare Outage (502) on 2 July

Uptime of DNS providers

2 Likes

This is pure DNS only. Doesn’t have anything to do with actual availability of sites using CloudFlare.

I wonder how many emails you’ve sent in the first 5 minutes of the outage

1 Like

Your domain registrar probably provides basic DNS for free.

It’s not free, but I use ClouDNS’ premium DNS and it works very well. They do appear to have a free plan, but it doesn’t give you access to their anycast servers: Premium DNS hosting plans. Test for Free | ClouDNS

some more metrics for Cloudflare

This outage was unfortunately due to cpu load spikes across Cloudflare systems - I know the reason for the spikes - related to CF WAF :wink: (being an official Cloudflare MVP and all) but probably let CF folks explain the specifics as they normally do via their blog most likely.

edit: dam John is quick https://blog.cloudflare.com/cloudflare-outage/

4 Likes

very informative… thanks !

1 Like

Keep flexing on us mere plebs

3 Likes

At least they clarify all in detail, take the blame, and apologize.

They could’ve just pointed away to external factors.

2 Likes

Again not free but Azure DNS and AWS Route 53 are cheap and great for DNS

1 Like

I really want to see the regular expression that caused 100% CPU usage. I’ve seen it in the past, and some people have written papers about it (https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3236027), but I really want to see what caused it in this particular case :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

regex can do that - i.e. bad mod_security regexes etc

2 Likes

Over 4k :nerd_face:

4 Likes

Yeah… I linked to a research paper about it. I’m curious about this particular case and exactly what caused the problem :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They tried to filter your companys’ pervasive webbugs.

1 Like

This is the regex that broke everything:

.*(?:.*=.*)

Their post-mortem is surprisingly detailed: Details of the Cloudflare outage on July 2, 2019. I wonder if they’ll switch to something like re2 that limits backtracking.

3 Likes

Holy shit that’s greedier than “My 600lb life” in a buffet line.

4 Likes