Hetzner For US Traffic

Is anybody here using Hetzner for US traffic? If so I wonder how you deal with ping issues and if you’re satisfied with overall network speed.
I can ping my server in NY from Hetzner and get about 80ms but for other locations, it’s over 120 - 150ms.

1 Like

I had been briefly, but I decided a cheap US dedi would work well enough- running nameservers and stuff off Hetzner/NetCup did cause noticable latency, so I moved those onto RAMNet’s TinyKVM services.

Then the whole EU ‘oi yew gawt a louicence?’ debacle started coming down the pike, and I moved ALL of my services back into the country.

“and I moved ALL of my services back into the country.” you mean back to Hetzner?

As with anything hosting-related, just depends on your use case. If it’s something latency tolerant, then it should be okay – I’d be comfortable hosting web servers or something like that there. FWIW, this forum is hosted with Hetzner. But if it’s latency critical, like a game server or something, then you’d want your servers to be close to your target demographic – for example, I wouldnt host a game server with hetzner for a mostly US community.

He meant away from Hetzner, back to the States.

1 Like

Yes, I know :slight_smile: . A guy on Lowendtalk suggested me to ask here as you host it on Hetzner. Actually sites I would like to host there get revenue from ads so depends mostly on SEO. And as speed is one of the parameters Google use to rank sites I decided to ask.

1 Like

Gotcha! If getting the best SEO score possible is your goal, then you can slap a CDN in front and that should work nicely. If you want free, CloudFlare will do a decent job, especially if it’s mostly static content. Otherwise, something like BunnyCDN or KeyCDN are good, low-cost paid alternatives.

Shouldn’t really matter where the actual site is hosted at that point.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. What I’m worrying about is TTFB and latency as it’s needed to be low for the user to load the index and then other resources (JSs, IMGs,CSSs) will be visible for the browser.

Actually the content is PHP/MySQL. So mostly dynamic.
For static sites I use Firebase hosting and Netlify

That part then can be speeded up by the CDN. BunnyCDN is really cheap.

A CDN generally only has benefit if it’s static content :stuck_out_tongue: For dynamic content, it has to connect to the origin anyways, so your TTFB is going to be very similar.

For dynamic content, Cloudflare Argo can help a bit (as it prioritises faster routes, whereas ISPs generally prioritise ‘cheaper’ routes), but you’re not going to get that with the free Cloudflare service.

Cloudflare Railgun helps a lot with content that only changes a little bit (as they cache the static parts on the edge nodes and only need to transfer the changed parts from the origin), but AFAIK your provider needs to be partnered with Cloudflare in order to offer it. BuyVM support Railgun!

If most of the users of the site/service are in one particular country, I’d put the server in that country. A CDN will help with static content, but not for highly dynamic content.

I’ve got some sites that are mostly used by Australians… In that case it made sense to get a VPS in Australia and use that for both static and dynamic content, instead of using a CDN.

1 Like

iperfing I got ~ 70mbits from DO’s NYC3 to Hetzner.

Probably the upstream to DO would be more interesting