How to Speed up an Old Laptop?

Yep, will work.

2 Likes

Just waiting for the SSD to arrive now :smiley: The video from @anon40039896 has helped a lot, too :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Looks like a straightforward swap :smiley: Some laptops are awful to open up. I remember having a netbook which had a single screw for the hard drive bay which was great, but since then every laptop I’ve owned has required being completely opened to get to anything important.

2 Likes

Should I remove this too (because the SSD will have its own plug kinda thing) or will it be the same one? Gonna read Crucial Manual now (until it’s here).

That’s a standard SATA connector, so it’ll be the same.

2 Likes

Love you guys <3

2 Likes

Speaking of you guys having mentioned dust cleaning. I don’t see a lot (except at the fan) that would be accessible for cleaning?!

It looks like everything is already pretty clean, so I wouldn’t worry about it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

exactly

1 Like

It’s funny, since I started mingling with my RPi 3 everything just looks like a giant Pi to me lol

2 Likes
2 Likes

I have a newer HP laptop and added an SSD NAND as the primary drive and kept the 1 tb spinning drive as a data drive. The BIOS was very picky when it comes to the SSD NAND and I read many accounts of people buying incompatible NAND sticks that could never boot.

I assume that an SSD drive is less bios dependent than NAND?

Also, the entire back of my laptop had to be “peeled” off. That was not fun removing it, and I had to do it twice. Good luck!

1 Like

SATA600 is a standard

not the fastest, but always working, also backwards compatible with SATA300

1 Like

I think you might be confusing some terms here. All SSDs are using NAND memory. Probably meant M.2 or NVMe?

2 Likes

Yes, absolutely I meant M.2. I refer to those things as NAND which is incorrect. Thanks for pointing out this error in my post.

2 Likes

Uhh yeah :heart::sunglasses: System is super swift now :slight_smile:

10 Likes

viel spaß mit deinem schnellen laptop!
Have fun with your fast laptop!

2 Likes

Thx <3

1 Like

Probably just the NAND in the old SSHD reaching its wear out limits and slowing iops.

2 Likes

SSD and GNU/Ubuntu or:

2 Likes