Is it really worth it? 1 year hosting for a Cup of Cofee

Scam! Got an order link?

:smiley:

1 Like

My friend, with all due respect. Thats mumbo jambo.
Hosting companies don’t get to redefine a word. So here is the de facto meaning of “unlimited”.

Not limited or restricted in terms of number, quantity, or extent.
Synonyms: inexhaustible, limitless, illimitable, boundless, unbounded, immense, vast, great, extensive, immeasurable, incalculable, untold, unfailing, everlasting, infinite, endless, never-ending, bottomless, measureless, inestimable, cosmic
Oxford Languages | The Home of Language Data

Simply put, web hosting companies offering “unlimited” are making an offer they can’t physically provide. So there’s a limit that these hosting companies are just not being clear about, while not being ignorant of. But many of their clients are (not the LET crowd).

That’s because LET breads a culture of people wanting to exploit their providers.
When I first started browsing LET, I thought LET was mostly people starting out, with no budgets thus why they were looking for the rock bottom. I came to realize that LET is full of people with good budgets, good businesses, earning nice incomes, but they just can’t help themselves to exploit other businesses ansd sometimes even risk their clients projects to squeeze a couple more bucks.

The perfect example is when you see a new provider in LET, promoting a deal that is clearly unsustainable, what happens? orders flow in… what happens next? the provider goes down and LET gets on an uproar. They fk’ing did it themselves. They know they are dooming that provider to failure, they don’t need to, but they can’t resist.

Do you believe the person who originally created the word unlimited was uneducated or had malicious intent? Do you believe that the word has no proper use and that it should be removed from the English language? I think it odd to consider that our very language is false, lying, or a scam. Yet, there is literally nothing that is known to be infinite. There are things we have yet to fully measure, but there is nothing known as absolute fact to be infinite.

So if “unlimited” means “has no end, can be used to no end, no ceiling exists, there is no point at which you may hit a wall” then we have to say there is no case for unlimited, our very language is a lie. I’m not prepared to make such a dramatic statement, personally. Especially not while the english dictionary supports the definition of it being used to mean something as simple as “no defined restriction” (paraphrasing), and software used frequently literally has options like “use 0 for unlimited” which refrains from defining a limit, therefore being not limited, and not limited therefore being unlimited.

It’s moot.
The word definition is what it is, an there are other words that providers can use. They are just not as catchy.

The word has a proper use.

It’s not. There’s no reason for you to think that way.
Although our very language allows us to be false, lie and scam. And it haves words to allow us just that :wink:

You just used the word properly. See? there’s a proper use :slight_smile:

Not limited is only unlimited if it doesn’t reach a limit. That’s the part your are missing.
You are confusing “I don’t set a limit” with “there’s no limit”.

And one argue that having such extreme commitment to values so as to avoid a word that can be used in proper context which generates sales, simply to appeal to some personal arbitrary sense of morality, makes one a weak business person :wink:

The box under “Output:” here is unlimited:

Someone prove me wrong :smiley:

Well, depends on how you define success. I am who I am, and I don’t intent my work to change me, I’d prefer to have it the other way around.

If you ask me;
“Have your values hurt you financially?”

I can simply say yes, they just did this week for the exact amount of €2460 €3410. But even if that is really serious €€€ to me, I’m willing to sacrifice it for my values.

Edit : I’m accepting donations :hugs:

I’d prefer a cup of coffee, thanks.

2 Likes

An interesting thing I’ve thought in the last year is that I actually find people who propagate the idea that unlimited = infinite to be of less values. Since literally no one sells “unlimited as infinite” and it doesn’t exist, I don’t get the point of running around implying that unlimited means infinite. It’s clear to anyone with any experience in the industry that unlimited means something subjective which amounts to “within reason” and I think if all of that energy was spent educating people on what it actually means in practice, regardless of how you think it should be interpreted in the literal sense, maybe less people would feel uninformed.

In no way can one claim that a commitment to refusing a consistently reproducible, universally true definition when a particular word is used in an industry, in favor of a proposed literal interpretation which is physically impossible for it to even exist, to be a set of values. At best, that’s a value in line with “grammar nazi.” Except that it might actually have consequences, because you’re out teaching others that the meaning of a word is something it will literally never mean in this industry, and you’re teaching them that in places where they are reading about this industry.

So whether you think unlimited means infinite and is therefore impossible, or if you think unlimited means the subjective “within reason” definition here, it only means one of those in practice in the industry.

If there is no limit in place then it is unlimited.

Unlimited refers to there being no restriction. The meaning could also change a little depending on context, so if you are refusing to consider that context in the first place, there’s no argument to be had - it’s a waste of time.

I mean it can be used to refer to something like infinite, but it seems odd to assume this is the intent of everyone who uses the word when the other meaning is literally true in every case in the industry and that meaning is physically impossible in the industry.

Unlimited can mean infinite, but infinite hosting cannot exist.

Unlimited can mean “no defined limit” and that can exist, and is verifiable as the intended definition in the practice of any hosting company stating unlimited.

So it seems to me all the effort meant to trash talk “unlimited” providers as lying by insisting that they’re using the first definition would be better spent informing people that they actually mean the second. Then people would actually have a better understanding of the industry and what to expect.

Anyone with experience in the industry know that its a lie marketing scheme.
People still buy “backlink packs”, “I’ll get you 1st spot in google in 3 days”, “Hire SEO consultants that got to their mail box by spamming them with @unrelated domain.com” and so on…

The unlimited is not geared the “industry experienced” people, its geared to the masses, that think “hey awesome! i’m getting that! and put all my 10 websites files in it, that’s huge”

An industry can come up with a new word, but no industry gets to change the definition of a word. Simply put.

Unlimited means what it means, it doesn’t matter what any industry would like it to mean.
And let’s be honest here, the hosting industry uses the word unlimited to convey what it really means.
This is not about the “industry” being innocent, the “industry” is lieing being misleading on purpose.

I love you but you’re wrong. No one changed the definition. You and a bunch of others chose to pick the one that implies the most evil intent, period. An acceptable definition of “unlimited” by Merriam-Webster is “lacking any controls : unrestricted.”

As long as a valid definition exists that matches the actual practice, then they are not lying. As long as you choose to pick the definition that implies malice, continually ignoring the value of Hanlon’s razor, you are yourself being a bit malicious.

Choice A is impossible and means they lie.
Choice B is possible and true in practice.
Both are valid by the oldest English dictionary.

You choose A. I’ll make no attempt to draw conclusions as to intent. These are simply facts.

I’m feeling loved so I’m stopping here :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Seems to me there are better words to use in this case (other than the obvious, infinite), for example… limitless.

“Un” means “not” - and “less” means “without”. In very many other usages, “Un” does not refer to “without”. In the literal sense, “Unlimited” means “not limited” and nothing else, the context defines the rest. For example, if you’re talking about the “unlimited possibilities of the universe” then it could be understood as meaning infinite, because the context is the universe, something which we have no control over. I think going into philosophy over a word is a bit too much, so I’d prefer to stick with the literal translation: not limited.

1 Like

Anyway, who wants to bet I can sell 500,000 cPanel accounts on one physical server!?

Nah I ain’t got time :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

If it comes with a beer… you can count me in.
But only after I abuse @MichaelCee service :shushing_face:

3 Likes

That ho(st) ain’t gonna care.

2 Likes

That’s easy, just use the AlphaRacks secret sauce! You only need to sell Alpha India Delta Sierra Master Reseller packages. Your clients will create clients who will create clients. No problem here.

1 Like

That Ho(st) probably loves the abuse.
I heard that it’s 50 at a time.

https://hostballs.com/t/is-it-really-worth-it-1-year-hosting-for-a-cup-of-cofee/552/7?u=404error

1 Like