Is it really worth it? 1 year hosting for a Cup of Cofee

Everyone is trying the new subscription model, just doesn’t work for some of those “old professions.”

4 Likes

I definitely think unlimited means that no limits are set.

And also infinite.

Both? Both. But the key point in web hosting is connecting the two. Yes, there can be no limits set, but is the plan LIMITED? Disk space, fair-share, packed node etc…

There’s no limit to the number of drinks I’ll have before I die.

But at the end of my life, there will definitely be a number of drinks I had.

Who wants a drink?

1 Like

3 glasses of irish cream down :wink: whatcha offering?

Red Bull and Everclear but only Sunday through Saturday.

1 Like

Sounds dangerous. I’m in.

Reminds me of Four Loco. Don’t know if you’ve ever had those before but I did when I was quite young and couldn’t yet handle my liquor :P. Being in a band will do that to ya

Nothing’s worse than a $1 bottle of vodka.

Err… The $1 bottle of mint-mouthwash’ee substance was a bit worse.

3 Likes

Recovering from yesterday. Today I could barely eat let alone drink…

1 Like

I don’t really want to weigh in on the unlimited-infinite discussion but it got me thinking… I have unlimited fibre broadband at home (approximately 78Mbps), it is unlimited, my daughter and I normally put a couple of TB through it a month, however, it is not infinite. My unlimited is constrained by the amount of bandwidth I have and hours in a day. I don’t have a problem with the word unlimited in this case, but I would take issue if they marketed it as infinite…

What if we do an analogy with cars?

Unlimited mileage vs infinite mileage;

Or Universe?

Unlimited Universe vs infinite Universe.

This would be unlimited mileage and infinite universe. First one, is simply logic. Say, unlimited mileage, no limits set, lasts as long as your engine works and allows you to, second one is unknown / there is no known limit. As so, we can argue that unlimited has certain physical or not limits / reasonable limits, where infinite is just that, infinite.

Most people attracted by the unlimited offers just want to host their blog anyway, those who abuse the service get their ass kicked. Think of an unlimited drinks dinner all included, but you have 100 of their most expensive champagnes. Its within limits, reasonable limits, a normal person would have 3 or 4 tops. Would you call the restaurant and ask them if they have infinite drinks in stock before going there? No, no one has. Common sense must apply to such cases because they expect you to set your own reasonable limits.
Now if you abuse it, you are just being an asshole because you are aware that there are limits but you are still insisting on abusing it, not being reasonable, and what is supposed to be a worry-free service for all clients, for cheap, is a worry service to provide to such abusive clients.
You are NOT paying for a SAN storage setup costing thousands per month with a contract that states that storage is really unlimited, nor it would be reasonable to, as it would be a pay as you grow service basically because there are costs to scale it to your demands/usage.

General rule for the clients who signup for such offers: If you think you are being a dick, then stop acting like one and grow the fuck up.

The thread title reminded me of this hosting company I saw on Reddit that claims to host your stuff for 20 years for €4.80 (although take that with a grain of salt, lol): https://2038.host

What’s you guys’ opinion on this? Will they be able to hold up their end?

From their FAQ:

What are you going to do with my money?
We’re going to invest it in other projects we’re working on and hope something comes of it.

That pretty much answers your question.

Gotta love honesty lol

Shared hosting is just too cheap even on the great side to gamble.