Let's Talk About WordPress

Haven’t heard anything about them, sorry :confused:

One question about plug-in licenses guys:
right now I’m n the process of buying some wordpress plug-in LTDs on appsumo (for example elementskit or qubely ).

Regarding the need of stacking the codes in order to be able to install the plug-ins in many domains I was wondering if I really need to stack in order to really install them on many domains and how does it work when you switch from one domain to another one when, say, you have finished the building part of a site.

Lets take quebely, for example, if with one code you get 10 licenses, then what’s the advantage of stacking if you can move the license from one domain to another as soon as you finished the initial building? I imagine that the blocks would still work even when the plugin has been deactivated, or am I wrong?

And what about the plugins that we buy on envato? They offer links to download the zips. If we buy just one key for each plugin auto updates are not working on the sites without the license key but aren’t we just able to upload the zip to the different wordpress installation manually? If I’m not wrong @Ympker was talking about that on the other LTD thread here on hostedtalk.

Sorry if I sound confused but until now I’ve just managed my few own sites and I’m in the process of starting wordpress freelancing jobs.

Who could explain to me a practical way to save a little bit on plugins? (I don’t need the whole GPL explanation about wordpress code, just pratical ways to minimize the purchase of multiple licenses for each plugin, if it exists).

Thank you!

Tl;dr: With most of these plugins, just like Qubely, you can also install it on unlimited sites without stacking. However, you can only have AUTOMATIC UPDATES on 10 sites. Qubeley support even confirmed this to me in live chat. I still stacked it to unlimited because I create Websites for clients, too. These websites I don’t want to each time manually update via zip and sometimes after website creation is finished the client does not want to sign up for managed hosting by me so to have peace of mind for both the client and me, I prefer to have unlimited sites with lifetime updates. So anyone who is looking to build sites for client, I’d always recommend to get an unlimited lifetime plan if possible to be worry-free about updates etc.

Codecanyon/Envato is likely similar. Some plugins, however, seem to block essential “pro” features behind a license/API key though. E.g. some cookie plugin on envato another person sent me to test did work without license but the Automatic Cookie Scanner Tool in the plugin and some other great features were disabled until I’d activate the plugin. So that’s one way devs try to make ppl buy 1 license per site. Also, Codecanyon’s licensing also really says to use just on 1 end product.

With Appsumo (Qubely etc) there is afaik usually not a limit to 1 end product so that’s a bit different. Regarding Codecanyon you’d, technically, be breaking the license agreement by using on more than 1 end-product.

Alright, thank you very much for the reply.

A side question: what does it happen if I build the website with Quebely blocks and then I disable or uninstall the plugin? Do the blocks keep working or the becomes gets ruined?
Thank you again

You wouldn’t because Codecanyon cannot disregard WordPress GPL that all WordPress plugins fall into.

This is why I don’t get why some plugin devs go for huge yearly prices. The result is that if the plugin is any good, it will end up in a GPL club.
Although there’s an argument to be made about how GPL clubs generate sales for the plugin developers.

It gets ruined. If you use their blocks then you need to keep the plugin activated.

1 Like

Well they usually say the php and html of the plugin is under GPL , the rest however (images the plugin uses to display its’ GUI, potential js or other) is not. But yeah, I also read that WordPress GPL post from Kinsta so :stuck_out_tongue:

Personally, I don’t trust the GPL Clubs enough to use themthem for client sites. In Germany it is all too easy to be held accountable if your client gets damaged as a result.

TIL about these.

Totally get why you’d not use them on client sites, but as someone who builds hobby sites this has just changed my wordpress experience. :astonished:

1 Like

Yeah for hobby sites or try a plugin it is another story. But for client sites? Nah.

could you guys just post a good example of these GPL clubs?

Is gpl.rocks an example of gpl club? How can they legally charge for a collection of “just” (theoretically) GPL code?

Sounds like it’s a technicality. They can get away with it legally but morally it’s not really fair on the developers.

I am quite happy to pay my way for good software, the problem I run in to is every plugin is £10 per month and by the time you add 4/6 core plugins you’re up to £40/60 per month for a site that I make no money on, and never will.

WordPress should do something like the Google Play subscription where you pay X per month and get hundreds of plugins included. It’s just not cost effective for me in its current form.

I hear you but still, in a professional environment, I can’t afford to take this risk. Sure I can scan them manually and whatnot but this feeling will not go away and morally it also is another story.

Instead I choose to focus on lifetime plugins like Divi, ShortPixel, YellowPencil or similar to get the job done and not have monthly renewals. If a site needs a specific plugin with a subscription the client needs to say whether they want to get the sub.

WP Starter Pack?! has been around for a while. Also GPL Vault.

Sorry mate wasn’t replying to you, I was replying to @Mangooz question about how they can legally charge for others work. I messed up by not pressing reply on his post :man_facepalming:

I totally agree that if you’re doing paid work then you need to be above board.

1 Like

Oopsie. My bad haha. Dont worry mate :slight_smile:

1 Like

the fact of the matter is that if they want to build their business on top of WordPress, they have to play ball. Even Automatic tried to fight it against it and failed.

All this talk about CSS and images is just an attempt to circumvent GPL that is enforced by WordPress. But it’s just an attempt and one that failed each time plugin devs brought it up.

The external services approach is really the only one that works.

PS: WordPress just made it harder for Plugin devs to force their licensing “approach” by allowing users to update plugins by simply uploading the new version.
So now, the 1 - 5 - 10 -15 whatever number of sites on a plugin pricing page became evermore meaningless.
Playing for 5 sites vs 1 is just a matter of convenience now.

1 Like

That’s a nice move from wp. Have a vps with all your plugins and activated license + auto updates and rsync/(s)ftp to all other wp installs.

1 Like

Gotta be honest, it didnt’ even cross my mind but it does sound like it would work fine.

1 Like

@Ympker I was just shopping Themeforest BF-CM and saw two “top” themes - TheGem and Avada. Have you used either of those? Are they any good?

I’ve been looking for a decent ‘universal’ theme that I can drop on all of my (personal) WP sites, so I can have a unified “brand” but also various content - if that makes sense. Divi almost fit the bill but it’s quite slow… A GUI sitebuilder tool would be nice too, so I can quickly bootstrap sites.

Best ones are:
Divi from ElegantThemes . This one is legendary.
Yootheme pro. Another solid one.

Those templates on TF that uses WP Bakery / former visual composer and Elementor are not as good as the ones I mentioned.

1 Like