Need some help figuring out parts for a Plex server

Update 22 May –

Was tired waiting for WD’s response about the order, so I canceled it and ordered 8TB Seagate IronWolf NAS drives from Newegg. Saw them just go on sale today so it was perfect timing.

The Seagate drives have 2x the cache (256mb vs 128mb) and higher speed (7200rpm vs 5400rpm), so on paper they will have better performance than WD Reds. Also the same 3 year warranty + an additional year from the CC. Did a bunch of searching before ordering and it mostly seemed like the Reds were preferred/more widely used because they were released much earlier than the IronWolf lineup, but there weren’t really any huge performance differences. Pricing came out a little less than the Reds (no tax on Newegg and free 2 day shipping).

Also, I ordered the SuperMicro server linked above as they said they’d throw in rails in place of the CPUs. So everything is on it’s way! Can’t wait to hear her purr! Pics and build log coming soon™ :slight_smile:

Thanks again for all the help lads!

2 Likes

Just wondering do you guys ever use those HDD warranties? Every time I had a disk fucked up I didn’t send it to warranty since it contained personal data. Is a tricky situation. $50 dollars vs Your data.

I’ve never had a drive fail under warranty that contained personal data (knock on wood), so I haven’t been in that conundrum before. But if one of these drives fail, I don’t mind Seagate getting a copy of my Linux ISOs :stuck_out_tongue:

Yep, a couple of times, every time Seagate honoured the warranty.

Just wrote up an affidavit & stamped it stating that there’s confidential financial information on the drive & as such I’m unable to ship it to a third party.

What a beautiful sight to behold…

64TB of HDDs and 1TB of SSDs. Getting pumped to get this server together. Hopefully none of these drives are duds – I’ll be sure to run badblocks before shipping the server off to colo.

9 Likes

Plex are generally that … powerful? :disappointed_relieved:

They can be. I’ve also run Plex on a Raspberry Pi with a external hard drive attached via USB. So you can go as big or small as you need :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

This Plex is confusing to us seniors. So you set up a server put your movies and shows on it and then people can sign in and watch them?

So I would download the Android client and then sign in to a server?

Precisely. As the server owner I can send out invites to others to be able to access and watch anything in my library. Plex can be access through a browser (plex.tv) or through one of their many apps (android, apple, roku, etc.). It’s pretty simple to use and I like the interface much more than netflix’s.

Is there any way for me to add subtitles to a server that is not mine? Literally having my own subtitles locally. While I am able to watch movies in english, my girlfriend prefers them subtitled

To the best of my knowledge, I’m pretty sure this isn’t possible. You can use subtitles stored on the server’s local storage, but a user cannot use their own subtitles when using any server.

Guys, is there a 1:1 music version of Plex (in terms of inviting users, central hub, etc)? Yeah I know Plex has music functionality, but it isn’t really made for it.

I was considering adding another project to my list; Spotify-style Plex for music.

You can try Koel

Edit: Might not support multiple users though.

1 Like

Subsonic is decent. Lets you create additional users so you can send them them their username/pass to login (invite functionality). It links to last.fm to be able to match album artwork, show similar artists in the same library, artist bios, etc. (metadata functionality). All is self hosted on your own server - vps, dedi, etc. (central hub functionality). Bunch of android and desktop apps exist with subsonic compatibility in addition to the web interface that you can stream from.

All in all, very similar to plex but built with a music-centric focus. Libresonic is the FOSS fork of it. Only thing it lacks is a slick interface. Been meaning to give koel a shot as @saibal mentioned to see how it compares.

2 Likes

I’m gonna be busy tonight :smile:

12 Likes

Sweeeeet. Gonna be an epic media server. Glad it made it in one piece, with proper packaging :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Anyone know what the drive ordering of this should be?

Would it be:

0 - 1 - 2 - 3
4 - 5 - 6 - 7
8 - 9 - 10 - 11

Or

0 - 3 - 6 - 9
1 - 4 - 7 - 10
2 - 5 - 8 - 11

?

So… How is plex different from something like popcorntime? Except the part of torrenting

Try it. Pull some drives out and watch what happens

1 Like

Should be the first one I’d think, but best to test it out as @FHR said.

1 Like