TrueNAS

I’m curious if any of you have tried this, and what you think about it. @Ryan was just telling me about it today.

https://www.truenas.com/

My dream NAS software is Synology but I’m not attracted to their hardware for the price, or convinced of the reliability of Xpenology. I love the multi purpose app management stuff, also along the lines of Yunohost/Cloudron, and that’s the angle I’m interested in.

3 Likes

I have a friend which has a TrueNas based server/NAS. He complains sometimes that he is limited by the fact it is based on BSD. I guess the people behind TrueNAS felt the same and have started to develop a version based on Debian: TrueNAS SCALE - TrueNAS Open Storage | ZFS for the Home to the Data Center

1 Like

If you want another Ryan to tell you about it, here’s a video:

1 Like

Yeah, FreeNAS is now TrueNAS for all current and future releases-if I’m not mistaken

1 Like

Im running it now for a few months, 6x6 TB with one 1 TB ssd cache drive. Zfs raidz. Using it as storage for proxmox. And it’s pretty fast and never had any issues so far. It’s a bit harder then synology (mainly on the permissions side) but other then that a really great product. (O and it requires pretty beefy specs)

1 Like