TrueNAS

I’m curious if any of you have tried this, and what you think about it. @Ryan was just telling me about it today.

My dream NAS software is Synology but I’m not attracted to their hardware for the price, or convinced of the reliability of Xpenology. I love the multi purpose app management stuff, also along the lines of Yunohost/Cloudron, and that’s the angle I’m interested in.

3 Likes

I have a friend which has a TrueNas based server/NAS. He complains sometimes that he is limited by the fact it is based on BSD. I guess the people behind TrueNAS felt the same and have started to develop a version based on Debian: TrueNAS SCALE | Open Hyperconverged Storage Scales Up & Out

1 Like

If you want another Ryan to tell you about it, here’s a video:

1 Like

Yeah, FreeNAS is now TrueNAS for all current and future releases-if I’m not mistaken

1 Like

Im running it now for a few months, 6x6 TB with one 1 TB ssd cache drive. Zfs raidz. Using it as storage for proxmox. And it’s pretty fast and never had any issues so far. It’s a bit harder then synology (mainly on the permissions side) but other then that a really great product. (O and it requires pretty beefy specs)

1 Like