[Weekly Poll] Tabs vs. Spaces

You’ll hear this question pop up and start a debate in tech circles and tech shows (i.e. Silicon Valley) – how do you indent while writing code, tabs or spaces?

There’s valid points for and against each option, but I personally use tabs and not spaces. Spaces can be a nightmare to work with sometimes while writing code, especially in programming languages, such as Python, where the number of spaces/tabs are vital for your code to run correctly.

What side do you stand on?

• Tabs
  • Spaces
  • Both Interchangeably (I’m a psychopath)
  • No Preference

0 voters

(I’m a psychopath) It depends on the language and quality required

1 Like

I resemble this.

2 Likes

Psychopaths.

3 Likes

Tabs mess up my Python thingy and spaces takes forever in C.

3 Likes

Tabs tend to format better across editors

4 Likes

Tabs or pink slip.

1 Like

Whatever I feel like :slight_smile: Or if my editor by default turns tabs into 4 spaces… that happens as well.

1 Like

4 spaces for me please

1 Like

1 word about spaces. Yaml.
Bleh!!

3 Likes

I hate yaml so very much. Though I appreciate the editor that converts tabs into spaces for it. Can never remember which ones do that though, because I’m always in nano.

1 Like

Alias sn=‘sudo nano’
Lol, this is on all my machines

2 Likes

It just occurred to me: is there any performance hit (however miniscule it may be) when using space/s vs. tab?

I wouldn’t have thought so… I guess it depends how many spaces you use :thinking:

1 Like

Tab width:4. i convert anything to Tab, for me its easier to read on web development.

but legends use space, because “If its hard to code, its must be hard to read.” :joy::joy::joy: