Praising Hetzner

Sorry for the confusion.
@daffy – Thanks for posting that news! In the meantime I believe that all of our dedicated server models are again available to order.
@Wolveix – I’m sorry for the downtime, even if it was really short! But thanks for the awesome feedback.

Did any of you catch the news about our Hetzner Cloud’s new Apps feature?

2 Likes

It happens! :slight_smile:

Don’t play with my heart Katie, Hetzner in US would be fantastic

I’m sure there was a tweet or something from Hetzner a few weeks back which was basically along the lines of there’s no plans to enter the US so ash is for something else. But I may be remembering wrong

You think the weird germans give a shit about regularly used abbreviations and do their own thing? Totally fair and not unlikely…

Latency at least does not put it anywhere close to overseas… (for now)

1 Like

That’s why we work from home! :sweat_smile: (also just noticed the date on this post, but felt the need to post anyway)

@Yes – No worries. I know how that feels. Within my personal family chat, sometimes it’s a few days before I check it, and then there’s like 200+ messages, so I am the queen of responding to old posts.

“ASH” – Maybe we just have a few too many Pokemon fans on staff. :wink:
–Katie

Just got an email about a price increase at Hetzner Cloud:

Dear Client
from the moment we launched Hetzner Cloud in 2018 we have continuously been working on expanding our platform and offering you an excellent price/performance ratio in cloud computing. Unfortunately, the prices to acquire IPv4 addresses have since increased dramatically and we have no choice but to respond. For a long time now, the pool of available IPv4 addresses has been almost empty at RIPE, the European IP address management agency. That’s why RIPE stopped assigning IPv4 nets. Because of this situation, there is now a fast-growing market in IPv4 address trading with many active brokers, such as on IPv4 Blocks Monthly Sales Data Reports | IPv4 Global. Supply and demand determine the price at IPv4 brokers, so the prices have skyrocketed.
We have tried hard to avoid passing on these higher prices to our customers, and have accepted the economic loss until now. However, the prices have increased so dramatically that we can no longer do this. We unfortunately must increase our prices.
Starting on 1 August 2021, the price for newly created Floating IPs (IPv4) will be increased as stated below.
Starting on 1 September 2021, the price for newly created Cloud Servers (CX11 and CPX11) will be increased as stated below.

Product Price per month / hour up until now Price per month / hour, effective 1 Sept 2021
Cloud Servers:
CX11 2.49€ / 0.004€ 3.49€ / 0.0055€
CPX11 3.49€ / 0.006€ 3.99€ / 0.0065€

Existing Cloud Servers are not affected by this price adjustment. Please note that these prices also apply to rescaling, effective September 1, 2021.

Product Price per month up until now Price per month, effective 1 Aug 2021
Floating IP:
IPv4 1€ 3€

Existing Floating IPs are not affected by this price adjustment.

Additional IPs for their other servers are going up/having setup fee added too.

Yeah the IP prices suck…
They doubled the prices.

I’m surprised Hetzer is increasing the price of their cloud instances…

Only the CX11, obviously because otherwise it would be cheaper than an additional IP. And with that also needed for the CPX11 to stay slightly above…

Personally, I think the new IP prices should only affect the new orders.

afaik for floating IPs in their cloud range, that is the case. from their mail existing floating IPs will stay at the current price (for now)

Well… this is what I received.

Starting on 3 January 2022, the monthly price for new and existing additional IPv4 addresses will also increase (See below).

@404error – That’s right. The monthly price for already existing additional IPs/nets will change on 3 January 2022. That gives customers some time to adjust. Customers with who now have existing IPs and nets will NOT need to pay setup fees on them, though. That’s only for new orders, and that doesn’t start for a few more days (2 August 2021). We’ve got an overview here, including some FAQs. The company leaders knew the price changes were going to be painful no matter what. But they are unavoidable. So they tried to set up the price changes so that exisiting customers would be affected as minimally as possible. --Katie

@404error @Hetzner_OL

there still seem to be a difference regarding addon IPs for dedis and such, which are told to increase in price from january (even existing ones) compared to floating IPs on cloud server, for which in the other mail it says:

Existing Floating IPs are not affected by this price adjustment.

the latter is what I was referring to with my former post :wink:

1 Like

They’re painfu because its a 102% increase, so you just doubled the price.
5% is a price increase
20% is a price hike,
102% … it kinda is an abusive price increase.

With all due respect, I think Hetzner is great, but heck… 102%

To be fair, it more or less correlates with the price increase of IPv4 addresses golbally. It seems crazy from a business standpoint, but they’re just reacting to the market’s volatility. It sucks, but I’m not sure what else they could have done.

1 Like

Here’s what I find odd.
Their current pool of IPs were acquired at different times, assuming they bought them from someone else.
So the real cost of the pool varies. They do have an average.

And now its time for me to learn about RIPE IP allocation.
From what I understood IPs don’t cost money unless you buy them from a 3rd party OR that you rent them.
If the first assumption is right, it means that buying from a 3rd party is a one time cost, for a product that is then rent ad etternum.

It depends on the above.

We unfortunately did not have a large stockpile of IPv4 nets. (We had been trying to build up our stockpile as much as possible.) Then RIPE ran out of IPv4 addresses, and the market of traders with available IPv4 pools started to balloon. Then COVID happened, and demand for our products skyrocketed. So we went through our available supply of IPv4 resources more quickly than we anticipated. So we really had to buy from traders. And the same thing happened to lots of other providers. So the prices for IPv4s really started to skyrocket, and that has continued. Our team does not think the IPv4 market’s growth will be linerar; they expect it to be exponential. That’s why the prices are high.