Praising Hetzner

I get it, but you’re buying new IP’s. You’re not paying for the one that you had already allocated and that you had gotten from RIPE, which doesn’t charge for the IP’s it reserves for Provider X.

This is why it would make sense to update the pricing to the new orders, but not the older ones.
And always keeping in mind that you pay once to this traders and then rent those IPs forever on a monthly fee basis.

How much is an IP, on avg, from a 3rd party trader? @Wolveix

I suspect the reason for adding it to existing subnets is in the hope that anyone with one not really making use of it will give it back, freeing up some more IPs

1 Like

Could be, but that also means that they decided to penalize everyone else.
To be honest, this sounds more like a move to increase the profit margin. Hetzner has an s…ton of IP’s, I’m sure, and a 102% increase will for sure be a catchy €figure€.

But I don’t know how much they paid for the IP’s, nor what % of their pool is made up of RIPE original allocations. So this is just a theory.

PS: Do you the avg cost of an IP bought from a 3rd Party?

I doubt it is that simple. there are recurring fees to pay for being registered and probably quite some work involved in handling the ‘rental’ - like creating handles, updating records and whatnot. on the way this all might lead to additional fees etc.

if you buy a house you own it and once paid, you can rent it out. but it still might occur some costs or work on the way.

I understand that one could differentiate between old/legacy stuff and new ones. but guess what, that more likely will lead to an aftermarket where people start trading/transferring not only old servers but especially ones including legacy subnets. this will then grow the load on support and lead to higher costs for maintaining that difference as well. nothing gained.

also if you think about it, they could have factored that into the general pricing and with that hide it but penalize even those who do not actually need or use addon IPs… so, there are even worse ways to do it I’d say :wink:

depending on the size of the net I think it’s something around $40-50 right now. if you consider that those won’t be rented out immediately or will have times sitting duck between being rented, or are not usable because overhead (gateways, broadcast, whatever) - the 50% number for active usage that could be read in their forums doesn’t seem far off.

so it would rather be up to $100 per IP, which translate to an ROI after ~4 years with the current pricing. yes the legacy nets that are already there might help to bring that down a bit further, but on the other hand with the market getting more out of control 3-4 years can be are very long unpredictable time already.

1 Like

“RIPE NCC members pay a membership fee every year. For 2021, this fee is €1,400. This is charged on a pro rata basis for new member. New members also pay a sign-up fee, which is currently €2,000. Members can have more than one LIR account, but they must pay the membership and sign-up fee for each LIR account. Members also pay €50 per independent assignment or legacy resource.”

I just don’t understand the LIR accounts, not sure if there’s a reason to have more than one.

Is it possible to bring your own ip at Hetzner?
I was looking up some ips to rent and for 512 IP’s you can get it for like 400$ per month.

Yes, costly though.

There’s an interesting topic oo this subject over at LET
Seems my opinion is not all that far fetched after all.

I wouldn’t use LET to measure what’s reasonable or not far fetched. :grin:
(I don’t go there at all, too much noise and drama IMO.)
… Not saying your opinion is far fetched, either :nerd_face:

2 Likes

I get what you mean.
But despite the toxicity, there’s a lot of experienced people in LET.

2 Likes

If I remember correctly, this is only currently possible for colocation products. However, several customers have made similar suggestions in the threads about this topic on the Hetzner Forum. So I can pass on a +1 for you if you would be interested in putting this on the customer wishlist. However, I cannot when or if we could implement this. --Katie

Oh yes, I would be interested :smiley: !

1 Like

It’s good!

@terling - Welcome to HostedTalk! Are you a Hetzner fan? What kind of servers/products do you use? --Katie

4 Likes

Hi all y’all – Just some general updates here for you on this lovely Tuesday.

This morning, Hetzner Cloud added a time-saving feature — Global Search. It does what it sounds like; you can use it to quickly find the cloud resource you’re looking for.

Hetzner Cloud also recently added some new operating systems: Debian 11, CentOS Stream 8, and Rocky Linux 8.

Debian 11 is also ready-to-use for Robot and dedicated root servers. --Katie

4 Likes

One of the team recently did an interview (in German) with Bayerischer Rundfunk, or Bavarian Broadcasting.
The interview will be broadcast tomorrow on Bayern 1 (radio), br24.de and Frankenschau aktuell (TV ). Frankenschau always runs at 5.30 PM. We don’t know yet when it will be broadcast on the rest. But keep an eye out for it.

--Katie

2 Likes

Sounds awsome! :slight_smile:
Do you, by any chance, know, if there will be a streaming option, to watch the interview, if I miss it on TV?

The interview will be broadcast today on Bayern 1 (radio), br24.de and Frankenschau aktuell (TV ). Frankenschau always runs at 5:30 PM (German time). The exact time for the rest is not yet known. Unfortunately, I am not sure if there will be subtitles. I believe br24.de also posts some of their content on YouTube, so perhaps the automatic subtitles there that you can use.

1 Like

I don’t exactly know why you mentioned subtitles (maybe I my english is to blame here :thinking: ), but thanks for all the information :smiley: .