What would you be if you weren't an IT person?

We all have dreams. Leave alone the money and corona, think about you are becoming a pro because you were born for that. What would you be if you were not a developer or sysadmin?

I would like to be a musician. Playing drums in concerts, or pianist, or violinist. The path to become one of them would be harder but at the end would be awesome I think. Meanwhile I conform watching them on YouTube while writing code :joy:

I should buy a piano.

3 Likes

I would be either a mechanic for motorcycles or a PA technician.

2 Likes

Aye +1.

Left my band when I got a full time internship at a tech company. Butā€¦ realistically if I went that path, Iā€™d still be in some shitty local band and be working retail someplace to make ends meet. Let alone what predicament Iā€™d be in because of corona

2 Likes

A farmer; I always thought that seeing oneā€™s work physically translate into fruit under your eyes could be satisfying.
Iā€™d probably be a nerd farmer and Iā€™d try to calculate everything in an optimal way but possibly without technology getting in the way so much to make me lose contact with the land
Eventually Iā€™d have experimental crops idling here and there, ā€œjust in caseā€ā€¦ it canā€™t be helped :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Iā€™d probably be a teacher or detective :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

What is this?

Anything more specific?

Sure, Iā€™ll try to be a bit more specific.

I always wanted to be a teacher when I was younger, but due to certain life events I never really bothered with school. And to be a teacher, you have to study a lot which was just not a good fit for me personally. If I wouldā€™ve bothered with school when I was younger, Iā€™d probably be a teacher by now.

As for being a detective, Iā€™ve always had a good sense of justice, a decent gut feeling, and am pretty good in reasoning. But again, I didnā€™t bother with school (and I was in poor physical condition) so I ended up with a degree in computer science because apparently I was good in computer science classes and didnā€™t have to bother much with school (I just handed in my essays and went in for exams without putting much, if any, effort into it).

1 Like

Not sure. I do a reasonable amount of non-IT as well as non-standard IT (looking after computerised systems at various locations that arenā€™t datacenters) so it mixes it up. When I worked full time as a developer years ago, the answer would have been ā€œanything but thisā€ lol.

I considered joining the fire brigade a few years ago, so maybe that.

2 Likes

But what would you like to teach?

Thatā€™s why I work part time now LOL

2 Likes

To be honest, part of it was the office environment. Only worked full time in 2 offices and I just didnā€™t geton with it. Having my own office is a lot better (as well as working for yourself/own company in general).

I think if it wasnā€™t IT anymore itā€™d be more outside work, just not sure what. I did landscaping for a few years when on a break from IT which is great in the summer - less so in the winter lol.

1 Like

My degree is in multimedia and I fully pursued a career as a videographer before I realized Iā€™m more analytical than creative.

1 Like

cook. or carpenterā€¦

2 Likes

IT.

Just kidding, probably English

1 Like

Shinichi Kudo?

1 Like

So I never know if being an intelligence analyst counts as IT. I use a lot of IT stuff for my job, I use a lot of technical skills but Iā€™m not in an IT department specifically so itā€™s a grey area.

I would like to be a police officer (I had to withdraw due to health issues :frowning:) or a secondary school teacher. Public service is really important to me I guess!

I absolutely love what I do to be honest. If I somehow didnā€™t get into this field though, I wouldā€™ve been very interested in law.

1 Like

Probably a journalist. I mean, thatā€™s what I did until some ten years ago. I was an IT journalist though, so still in IT.

If we leave IT out of the question, Iā€™d still be a journalist but maybe for a local newspaper. Itā€™s the news that counts most for a lot of people.

2 Likes

I honestly had to Google that character :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Farmer. Iā€™d like a small beef herd of Dexter cows, they are a mixed bred too so could go down the dairy route. Iā€™d still ā€œsmartā€ the fuck out of it, the plan in about 10 years to sell up and go to cows with a bit of IT consultancy when needed, perhaps smart tech to other small holders.

1 Like