What's Your Favorite Obscure/Niche Self-Hosted App?

Well, girls do remember everything, so the name Monica, sounds so appropriate!

(sorry if it seemed sexist, idc, it’s the ugly truth!)

Out of curiosity, what’s the CPU usage on the OO Document Server when you’re editing?

It’s pretty close to zero. I believe the Document Server just provides the JS (and a few small server side functions) needed to run the OO editor in browser.

Ah alright. That was my primary concern, it looks pretty good as well. :smiley: I used Collabora Online before, but it was laggy, so never tried out anything else.

Compared to OnlyOffice, Collabora is pretty bad…

That’s assuring. Do you use OO Document Server with NextCloud/OwnCloud?

I use it with Nextcloud and Atlassian Confluence.

2 Likes

My self-hosted toolkits are:

• LibreNMS - Open source fork of Observium for monitoring via SNMP
  • Gitlab and all their toolkits (Gitlab Runner/CI/CD, Docker Registry, Wiki, etc.)
  • RStudio Server (R programming language’s server-hosted Web-IDE)
  • JupyterLab (Python programming language self-hosted Web-IDE + notebook server, also recently started supporting R)
  • FreshRSS (Daily news aggregate feed that includes topics and news from my field including new published research papers)
  • Personal OpenStreetMap Tile Server
  • Self-built tools and applications used to run my custom toolkits

Managed/Hosted Solutions I use regularly are:

• Google Drive/Dropbox/Box (CBA Nextcloud)
  • Specific hosted data storage solutions via APIs
  • Atlassian Product Suite (one of the agencies I work with are heavily integrated into their environment)
  • Mendeley (CBA trying to self-host Zotero with WebDAV because I’d have to re-compile my own Zotero and no documentations nor support. Don’t have time to mess with that.)
  • Shared Hosting from BuyShared for some applications because CBA managing my own LAMP stack
  • Gitbooks (Man I seriously wish the newest version was Open-sourced because I could use that all day everyday)
1 Like

Indefero for issue tracking / project management.

A gem of tiny and efficient web app for that purpose, no licenses or other BS. Just quick setup and off you go :slight_smile: Lightweight and simple to keep up.

Not even sure if that project is alive anymore lol It’s been a decade since i installed it

Most obscure one i could think off

Can you pm/elaborate a bit about the cpu/ram usage since I am thinking about using this for it.

I’m positive it’s almost zero, it’s basically a way to CRUD with Laravel. I am using the same server for other self hosted things so I can’t just check the usage, but it’s really basic - if it can run PHP+NGINX (and MariaDB if not offloaded) it will be fine.

The only most “demanding” feature would be the image upload, but still that shouldn’t eat up more than a few megabytes. Can’t check the code now but can’t recall of any hefty (code-wise) manipulations being done in there.

1 Like

Cool, thanks mate :slight_smile:

1 Like

OpenResty based reverse proxy and light WAF VeryNginx (just for fun / my hobby projects)

2 Likes

I’ve had OpenResty bookmarked for ages but never actually used it. I’ll do so now :slight_smile:

Do you guys know of a decent alternative to cloudron.io? Something I don’t have to waste a ton of time on, to get a few web apps like gitlab, bookstack, bitwarden etc going within docker containers?

This is cool. Shame they don’t have a free personal use tier with no app limits.

Yeah, 15 bucks a month is a bit too much for a glorified installation script for open source apps. Hence, looking for alternatives, if you guys know of any.

1 Like

How?

I think this:

1 Like

I used to use that thing but moved to cloud and now it’s expensive

1 Like