Ympker's Multipurpose Kit for Debian-Based Servers

That’s what I meant lol :smiley: Appreciate the spirit though^^

1 Like

:smile:

Honestly, though -

I suggest an sshguard (or fail2ban) and iptables-persistent combo. More people are familiar with fail2ban, and it’s neato, but way too much overhead if you’re just trying to block idiots from abusing your ports.

2 Likes

Ympkit is going viral :smiley:
Primaserv.de - We make hosting work!

Time to work on Ympkit again once I finished my papers (30th sept).

6 Likes

Told you, don’t make it too furry friendly… now see what happened

1 Like

If I may ask, which tools are used for “Backup Tasks”?

1 Like

Well, there are only html and mysql backup tasks. Html locally backs up the web directory (/var/www/html) and Mysql backup is done with Mysqldump iirc. Backup to remote sftp is on the list though since that’s something I’d need quite often so I’ll add that eventually. Probably by using rsync and use CLI prompt for remote server ip, port etc…

1 Like

Is the html backup archived with tar or is it simply copied?

Yeah, an option to send the backups off-site would definitely be useful :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Tar :slight_smile:

Yeah. Definitely.

1 Like

I am also planning to - though this is faar in the future - allow to execute every setup script/action on a remote server when providing the SSH details in CLI prompt or for multiple servers at once using a config file. Like: Backup all your VPS at once. Deploy WP/Gameservers/whatever on multiple VPS at once…

Ansible :wink:

1 Like

The web directory is in /etc?

1 Like

No. In /var/www/html . Was just tired :roll_eyes::joy:

1 Like

@Ympker - I’ve been playing with yunohost on Debian 9 recently - have you had a chance to try it? Might be interesting to compare notes with what you are doing.

I find yunohost most useful for trying out applications quickly, seeing what a working configuration looks like, and then re-doing from scratch (without yunohost) if I decide I might want to put something into more of a production-ish environment.

One thing I do find interesting about the yunohost framework in general is the “Single Sign On” setup (using LDAP by default - I think). That of course simply enables me jump around a bunch of installed apps without creating new accounts. Sometimes it might add an additional layer of confusion, but usually it turns out to be at least somewhat convenient.

Anyway, will be interested to take a closer look at what you’re doing here at some point - seems like it may be more designed for “keep it simple” style (CLI-only) administration, which is what I generally prefer to use.

1 Like

Thanks for bringing up Yunohost. Indeed, I have had a look at it myself a while ago. It is, however, not necessarily what I am aiming for with Ympkit although there are obviously scenarios which suggest similar usage. Like you pointed out Ympkit is aimed at a simple CLI server manager/script collection in bash :slight_smile:

2 Likes